Green cleaning refers to the use of cleaning methods and products that are environmental friendly in nature as it contains ingredients and products that are designed to preserve and create no harm to the human health and environment quality.
These green cleaning products and techniques avoid the use of materials which contain toxic chemicals some of which emit volatile organic compounds which cause respiratory, dermatological and other dreaded conditions.
Green cleaning products may also refer to the all green cleaning described and done or manufactured, packaged and distributed in residential and commercial or industrial. If the manufacturing process is environmental friendly and the products are biodegradable, then the term certified green cleaning products or green may apply.
On this fast paced environment that we are living in, as lives become busier, over-scheduled and more stressful, it is a usual route that we lean towards the latest products in the market that would most likely promise to make annoying chores to be easier.
For example, if one needs a bathroom cleaner, he or she can just grab whichever bathroom cleaner he or she would prefer based on the color of the bottle or the popularity of the actual product.
Little that we verify, what it is in that container that was bought?
Experts say that most of the cleaning products are made up of enormous amount of chemicals which can definitely impact the health of users. As people are being more aware of the impacts and zooming in the market, people begin rethinking what they will be bringing into their homes.
If the manufacturing process is environmentally friendly and the products are biodegradable, then the term “green” or “eco-friendly” may apply. How did green cleaning companies came with the idea of coming up with the green cleaning products?
The biggest impact of cleaning products comes from the chemical content which has not been tested for safety. These pollute streams and rivers and take a long time to disintegrate.
The human impact is another story as these cleaning products have produced a range of unnatural compound synthetic chemicals when exposed to the environment produce components with consequences ranging from mild to severe for terrestrial and aquatic animals, humans and plant life. Some chemicals have been found to alter gene function.
Altered gene function often leads to changes in an organism’s proper development, with negative consequences to animal population resulting from grander upset in ecosystems. Consumer concerns have also been instigated by skin and eye irritation that occur upon contact.
In green cleaning, all products undergo green cleaning certification programs to ensure that all products are safe and would not produce the said effects. The eco friendly cleaning company guarantees to provide alternative methods of cleaning that makes use of environmentally friendly chemistry that can be as effective as the chemicals contained in cleaning products.
All products in the market ensures to live up with the green cleaning certification.
Experts like Leslie Reichert who is the author of “Joy of Green Cleaning,” and Sara Snow, author of “Sara Snow’s Fresh Living,” advocates green cleaning products and share reasons why people should begin the switch to these eco-friendly products.
- Make sure of achieving Healthier Home – If one goes green, “No longer will there be chemicals absorbed into the skin or breathed in by the person cleaning,” according to Reichert. Family members would gain health benefits as they no longer breath in cleaners of harmful effects in the air and sitting on surfaces. Studies were also done and proved that continuous use of non green cleaning spray even just once a week would raise risk of getting and developing asthma. Through the words of Snow on these harmful products, ……”today is the most common chronic illness and the leading cause of school absences due to chronic illness across the country.”
- Establishing purer environment – According to Reichert, when you use many cleaning products, “harmful chemicals are being released into the environment.” Changing to greener methods and application of green cleaning tips will help reduce pollution to the waterways and the air and it also minimizes the impact on the ozone depletion and global climate change with fewer smog producing chemicals. Many green products also use recyclable packaging which minimizes waste.
- Safer Products – Traditional and non-green cleaning products pose risks such as chemical burns to any household owners’ skin and eyes. The best green cleaning services manufacturing green cleaning products develops non-corrosive products and meet strict standards regarding inhalation toxicity, combustibility and skin absorption.
- Better Air quality – Most people cannot stand the strong stench of chemical odors. Many green cleaning products including store bought and ones you can make at home emits pleasant natural essential oils. Reichert treats these products as her aromatherapy.
- Less Expensive and more economical – “For home cleaning, vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, etc. can do the trick for pennies on the dollar, compared to buying conventional cleaning products,” Snow says. Investing in green products also makes sense for other companies.
- Fewer anti-bacterial – US Food and Drug Administration as well as American Medical Association promotes the use of antibacterial products such as soaps and detergents versus traditional and non-green cleaning products that produce harmful effects in the hormonal system and thyroid.
Government regulations don’t require ingredients to be listed on any cleaning products. This is another reason Reichert is a strong advocate for making your own products at home, so “you know exactly what the ingredients are in your cleaning recipes.”